Thursday 17 March 2016

Work Diary - First Shoot - Transport

This was my very first shoot for this project and I found it fairly easy at first; this was because I had planned the shoot ahead and I had an idea of the types of pictures I wanted. As the session progressed, I experimented with the framing of my images - I tried using a full frame, by filling the shot with objects to portray the idea of journey, along with using empty frames, where only one or two subjects/objects are included. As well as this, I experimented with the angles in which I could take my photographs - I found that finding the correct angle in a picture is essential when working with the theme of journey. This is because by using the right angle, the scene in an image could look bigger, thus putting emphasis on the whole idea of journey. Initially, I was trying to show transport just as objects, omitting any feelings that could have been involved; my images were to be very objective. However, as I started shooting I started to include some subjects - I realised that this made my images look more exciting and busy, highlighting journey. Although I did not include much of the subjects' faces or focus too much on their emotions, they still added some to my images.


I like this picture the most from my shoot. This is because although the focus seems to be on the motorcycles, there are other forms of transport in the background, such as the red bus and the parked cars. This forces the viewer to engage with the image and look harder in order to understand the theme fully. Moreover, the angle in which I took the image has allowed me to show the motorcycles in a row by using the depth of field technique. This shows the idea of journey in several ways; through the technique, by making the scene and the row of motorcycles look longer and by making the motorcycles the main focus of the image.


Out of the pictures from the shoot, I think this one could have been better. As the cyclist was riding away quite fast, I had to take my shot quite quickly, this prevented me from framing my shot properly, meaning the path is not quite in the middle. I've also noticed that the grass on either side of the path are not the same shade of green - this would have made the image look more vibrant if it was. Despite this, the theme of journey is shown immensely here and highlighted in different ways. The path adds to the element of depth of field and guides the viewer to the cyclist, who also shows connotations of journey.

In the future, I would like to focus on the technique of depth of field. This will allow me to show the theme of journey further and put emphasis on the scene, showing long paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment