Thursday 14 April 2016

Work Diary - Second Shoot - Depth of Field

For this shoot, I decided to focus on using a depth of field technique. I did this so that I can show the theme of journey through long, exaggerated paths. At first, I was worried that my images from this shoot would all look very similar as the same concept is being used throughout. However, I soon realised that by experimenting with different angles, I can automatically add diversity to my work and prevent my pictures from being repetitive. I found the best angles were really low ones or really high ones, as this showed off the scenery and made it look bigger and longer, which further highlighted the whole idea of journey. As my shoot progressed, I started to look for deeper meanings when taking pictures, rather than just capturing a scene so that my photographs contain symbolism and explores journey on a more detailed level, encouraging the viewer to explore the image and pick out some context.


This is one of my favourite images from the shoot. I think the angle was very well chosen as it exaggerates the path and contains elements such as lines, colour, texture and form. Moreover, I have prevented the viewer from seeing where the path leads to as the visibility is reduced by the sunlight. I have done this deliberately, adding mystery to my work and forcing the viewer to pay more attention to the image, wondering where this path could lead to.


On the other hand, I think this picture could have been thought of better. The aperture I set was not quite right as it is dark and prevents the viewer from seeing the scene clearly. Also, there are some parts of the image that is blurred but shouldn't be. I think the idea was a good one as the angle is almost perfect but I should have spent more time getting the aperture right.

In the future, I am going to repeat this shoot but with subjects, I would like to focus more on the aperture and ensuring the image is clear and not blurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment